If your baby is experiencing excessive crying, talk to your pediatrician. If cow’s milk allergy is suspected, your pediatrician may recommend a hypoallergenic formula like Similac® Alimentum®.
A formula like Similac Alimentum can help babies start feeling better today. It starts reducing colic symptoms due to protein sensitivity in most babies within 24 hours.* It is an extensively hydrolyzed formula, meaning the milk protein is broken down into tiny, easier-to-digest pieces. Shop now for Similac Alimentum and other Similac® formulas.
We’re always here to help! For live, one-on-one feeding support, call the Similac FeedingExpert at 1-800-986-8800.
Often, a baby with colic can be comforted through swaddling, offering him a pacifier, or helping him relax in a baby swing or rocking device. If these ideas don’t work, and you can see no physical reason for his discomfort, try:
- Gently bouncing or strolling your baby
- Taking a car ride
- Creating white noise with soft music or a vacuum cleaner
Even the most experienced parent can get overwhelmed by the crying of an infant, with or without colic. Having a good support system on standby can offer you a much-needed break when it all becomes too much. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when that time comes:
- Ask for help from your partner or a family member for relief or sleep when you need it.
- If the crying makes you feel like you might lose control, place your baby safely in his crib and step away for a few minutes to calm down and collect your thoughts.
- REMEMBER: feeling overwhelmed is temporary—never shake an infant.