Preparing Similac powdered formula is simple, but it’s still important to carefully follow the directions. Your baby's health depends on it. Proper formula preparation is important in order for your child to receive the necessary nutrition.
Formula-to-water ratio: 1 level scoop of formula (not packed down) per 2 fl oz of water. Be careful not to add too much water. Watered-down formula is not recommended, as it dilutes essential nutrients and can affect your child's nutrition.
Reminder: Powdered infant formula is not sterile and should not be fed to premature infants or infants with immune problems unless directed and supervised by your doctor.
Preparing formula with boiled water
Ask your baby’s doctor if you need to use cooled, boiled water for mixing and if you need to boil (sterilize) bottles, nipples, and rings before use. If you choose to boil, follow these steps:
1. Bring water to a rolling boil for 1 minute, then turn off the heat. Overboiling can increase the concentration of impurities.
2. Let the water cool to room temperature before adding formula. Making formula with boiling water can cause clumping and decrease the nutritional value.
3. Before feeding, sprinkle a few drops on the inside of your wrist to make sure it is not too hot.
4. Feed or refrigerate the prepared formula.
Note: If you are concerned about lead or other harmful substances in your water, talk to your healthcare professional before making formula with tap water. Bottled or filtered water can contain bacteria and should still be boiled.
Mixing Tips for Similac Powdered Formula
Single bottle instructions
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
2. Measure and pour desired amount of water into the baby bottle.
3. Add unpacked, level scoop(s) of powder formula to the bottle as directed. Return dry scoop to can. (1 scoop of formula per 2 fl oz of water.)
4. Put the cap on the bottle and shake.
Tip: Moving your wrist in a twisting motion helps powder formula mix more quickly and more thoroughly.
5. Feed or store immediately in refrigerator.
Multiple bottle instructions*
1. Measure 23 fl oz of water using a liquid measuring cup.
(NOTE: If using Similac NeoSure powder, use 21 fl oz of water instead of 23 fl oz of water for standard caloric density.)
2. Add 1 cup (100 g†) of powder, unpacked and level, using a household measuring cup for dry ingredients.
3. Add powder to water and mix well.
4. Pour prepared formula into individual feeding bottles.
5. Put the cap on and store immediately in the refrigerator. Feed within 24 hours.